Photo by Christian Bender

Rams drop third straight to start second semester

By Luke Bellus

TORONTO - The Ryerson Rams women’s hockey team returned to home ice Friday night, losing to the Queen's Gaels 4-3.

After dominating most the of the play in the first period the Rams found themselves on the wrong side of the 1-0 score after 20 minutes.

It was a strange play with just 40 seconds left in the period which saw a Ryerson defender wipe out and goalie Fanny Vigeant misplay the puck leading to a Queen’s player with the puck on her stick and a wide-open net. Vigeant slid and defenders dropped trying to block the shot but it was too late and the puck was in the net.

Even though the Rams had owned the early portion of the period – holding Queen’s without a shot in the opening 12 minutes – they now trailed by one.

The opening minutes of the second period looked promising for Ryerson however a Ryerson goalie interference penalty gave Queen’s an advantage and they didn’t let it go to waste.

Ryerson was now down two goals and had some work to do. And go to work they did.

Kryshanda Green said, “It’s the second semester and the team needs to make a push for the playoffs and set the tone.”

And set the tone she did.

With seven minutes left in the second period, captain Green grabbed the puck in the offensive zone, put her head down and powered through the Queen’s defence. She drove the net and couldn’t be stopped cutting the lead in half.

The goal for Ryerson appeared to give them a boost and just seconds later an outlet pass from Mariah Hinds landed perfectly on the stick of Lauren Nicholson in behind the Queen’s defence. Nicholson, with time and space on her side, didn’t panic and rifled a bullet right past the Queen’s goalie who stood no chance and just like that Ryerson had tied the game.

After 40 minutes it was 2-2. Ryerson had a few chances after tying the game to grab the lead but hit the post twice. If it weren’t for a few posts being hit Ryerson would’ve taken a lead into the locker room.

Queen’s would break the deadlock with seven minutes left in the third leaving the Rams to scramble in an attempt to tie things back up.

In a last-ditch effort Ryerson pulled the goalie with 1:03 with left in the period, but the game was put on ice just 20 seconds later when Queen’s got the empty netter giving them a two-goal lead.

Ryerson added a third with seconds left on the clock but it was too late and the comeback fell short.

“There’s not a lot of flaws in our game,” Green said. “We just have to find a way to win.”

The Rams will be back in action at the Mattamy Athletic Centre Saturday afternoon when they take on the UOIT Ridgebacks at 4:15 p.m.


Mattamy Athletic Centre



Hockey (W)


Hockey (W)

Women's hockey 2018-19 season teaser

Hockey (W)

Highlight Vault - A Gem from Gemmill

Hockey (W)

2017-18 Athletic Banquet - Closing Video

Hockey (W)

2017-18 Athletic Banquet - Opening Highlight Video

Hockey (W)

President's Reception Graduate Video

Ryerson Rams Care