Rams heading to the World Cup
On June 13, 2018, the Ryerson Rams men’s soccer team will travel to Moscow, Russia, to take part in the festivities surrounding the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
The 16-day trip sees the Rams arriving in Moscow in the late hours of June 14, with their action-packed schedule kicking off the following day. Amongst World Cup festivities, the team will also hold soccer clinics for underprivileged youth, donate soccer equipment, and face off against local teams in several exhibition matches.
The players committed to personally fundraise for half of the trip.
“This program has always been about creating exceptional experiences for us," says Rams defender, Greg Wise (Pickering, Ont.). "This trip to Russia is an example. Every kid who plays this game dreams of getting to the World Cup. It’s the biggest spectacle in the world. To see that would be unbelievable.”
One of the most important principles the Rams men’s soccer team wants to instill in its players is that anything you put your mind to is possible and no idea is too big.
"Obviously, we want our players to have the exposure to the World Cup and all that comes with seeing the sport at a high level," says Rams head coach Filip Prostran. "We also want to do what we can to inspire kids to dream big about their future and to see what can happen through soccer. Beyond that, I know from personal experience that some of the most impactful moments in the growth of a person come from traveling the world. It gives you a different perspective on how fortunate you are."
- Watch two World Cup games - Argentina vs. Iceland (June 16), Brazil vs. Serbia (June 27)
- Host Ryerson's first ever 'International Linking Sport and Education' Clinic in Moscow - using the game of soccer to expose at-risk youth to the opportunities sport provides to pursue a postsecondary education
- Host Ryerson Soccer's first International identification camp in Moscow
- Tour and play an exhibition game against the Russian soccer academy
- Learn about Russian culture and people
- Create a once in a lifetime experience for our student-athletes
Stay up-to-date with the trip by following along on our website or on Instagram and Twitter, @RyersonRams & @RyersonRamsMSOC